I'm as sad as everyone about the death of Dolly Parton. Let me record a few thoughts:
--I'm glad that I was a child in the 70's, that my mom listened to A.M. radio, which meant I heard all kinds of music, including Dolly Parton's songs, both old and new. The radio stations of my childhood played anything, so you could hear a Dolly Parton song, then a Beatles song, then an old Elvis song, sprinkled with modern pop by groups like Bread, the Carpenters, and so on.
Modern algorithms would not have sent Dolly Parton music my way. But I must confess that it has taken me many decades to appreciate her music, and I still wouldn't choose her music for a long drive or an evening at home.
--I didn't see her acting during my childhood. I didn't see 9 to 5 until a few years ago. I did love Steel Magnolias.
--I've never been to Dollywood. I would go, if I won tickets.
--I'm not an expert on business, but from my outsider view, she seemed to have business smarts that most of us will never possess. She know how to capitalize on success while always seeming/being sincere in her enthusiasm. That skill probably can't be taught in Business school.
--In terms of gender and presentation, she always intrigued me. There have been years when I was frustrated and annoyed by her over the top femaleness. Let me just be blunt: the attention to her breasts was so offputting to me. As I got older, her costumes intrigued me--the woman liked what she liked, and she loved sparkles.
As I've gotten older, I've been in awe of all the ways she worked the system without losing her soul. But I've also been sad about how hard it must have been for her, and about how many others did not survive, which wasn't her fault.
And I've been happy about how she blazed a trail for others--and then kept making sure the trail stayed clear (and to stretch the metaphor, she went back and made roads).
--Her songwriting skills -- wow. I was amazed at how many songs she wrote. I loved when she was interviewed and would talk about her creative process, about grabbing inspiration when it came and writing it down on scraps of paper, even the barf bag on an airplane.
--Her musician skills -- wow. She played with so many people through the years, and the fact that she could do so speaks to her singing skills, her skills on so many instruments, her expansive vision of what music could and should do.
--She didn't always talk openly about her faith. Sure, she talked about the faith of her childhood. I'd have liked to have known more about her grown up faith.
--Of course, she showed us that faith by all the people she helped, by the life she lived.
--Her philanthropy has always been what impressed me most about her. She gave back, above and beyond, in so many ways, and much of what she did, we will never know about.
--And she continued to do good until the very end, in all the ways she was doing good: music, support of other artists, business, philanthropy. Her continued vibrance is why so many of us are feeling sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment