Friday, June 23, 2023

The Feast day of Saint Etheldreda

Today is the feast day of Saint Etheldreda, also known as Ethelthryth (and variations on that name), an Anglo-Saxon saint.  You say you've never heard of her?  Neither had I, until this morning.  It's a reason I stay on various social media sites, because I pick up nuggets that enrich me.  For clarity, I'm only on Facebook and Twitter.  I'm not adding more because I don't need the distractions.

A Twitter tweet took me to this blog post, which gives rich information about Saint Etheldreda.  In some ways, it's a familiar story:  a medieval woman of some privilege, who found monastic life more appealing than married life.  That's a gross oversimplification of course.  She almost certainly had deep spiritual yearnings that led her to monastic life.  

My experience in Church History I class showed me how much I view ancient life through my own modern lens and how much of a problem that can be.  I hear about Etheldreda leaving her second husband with two other women and founding a monastery, and I assume she was escaping a bad marriage.  Perhaps it was a bad marriage or perhaps a political marriage that she wanted no part of.  Perhaps it was a turning to God, a fulfillment of a calling that she had sensed before she was ever married:  she took a vow of chastity before her first marriage, and her first husband respected that vow.  According to a Wikipedia article, her second husband wanted to have his conjugal rights, and that's why she fled.

Flee she did, and she founded a religious order which flourished for several generations, during times of great turmoil, like the Norman invasion.  In the best of times, it's no small thing, to create a religious order.  She built a monastery on a cold northern sea, in a land under assault by fierce invaders, in a time where she was a woman of some wealth, but not much in the way of rights.

I'm glad to know about her.

No comments: