Monday, June 12, 2023

Church at the Pavilion

 Yesterday, we got up and headed off across the mountains to Faith Lutheran in Bristol, Tennessee, where I will be the Synod Appointed Minister (SAM) for the next 9 months.  We did this last Sunday too, but yesterday was different--for one thing, I remembered to take some pictures.



Yesterday was the day of the church cook out and picnic at the pavilion down the hill from the church building.  As is their custom, they had the church service down in the pavilion too.



As I got ready for the service (we try to arrive an hour early), I tried to remember if I had ever led an outdoor service.  I've participated in plenty of them, usually at retreats, but I haven't been a worship leader outdoors.  Overall, it went well.



I had arrived with vague ideas for the children's sermon.  Faith Lutheran has the children's sermon before the Bible readings, and the readings for yesterday were particularly tough for a children's sermon.  With a group of children so new to me, I didn't want to talk about feeling like an outcast or all the ways our bodies can betray us, two approaches suggested by the Gospel for yesterday, Matthew 9:9-13, 18-26.



I stood at the pavilion, looking at the view of the huge pine trees to one side, and the vast, unmowed field to another side.  I decided on a completely new children's sermon.  I talked about the field and asked if any of them knew any of the plants.  We heard birds chirping, and could we name them?  I admitted that I couldn't.



But good news!  God can.  God knows every element of creation, each single one--and God knows each one of us too.  God loves each of us deeply. 



Then I turned our attention to the pine trees and talked about the root system that keeps them from falling over.  And recent research tells us that trees communicate through their root structures.  I talked about how God's love can support us, even when we don't feel strong.  It's our own root system, strengthened by the love of our families and what we learn from our scripture reading.



I enjoyed being there, and I enjoyed the picnic afterward.  It was a great way to get to know each other better.  It was a delightful day, and a reminder of one of the benefits of being part of a small congregation who can know each other more deeply than a huge congregation.




No comments: