Sunday, January 23, 2022

Video Sermon on Simon Peter's Mother-in-Law and Service

Two weeks ago, my church went back to meeting remotely.  While I do miss seeing everyone, it's clear that this Omicron variant is everywhere and so very communicable.  My church is made up primarily of older folks and people who are immunocompromised, so it's wise to meet remotely.  

Another plus:  I get to make the occasional video sermon.  I do it differently than the taped Zoom call kind of sermon delivery.  I make small segments, and I think about what I'm filming as I deliver the words and what images would go well with those words.  It's an interesting exercise in creativity that I don't get to experience often.

For today, I created a video sermon that considers Simon Peter's mother-in-law.  You may or may not remember that she is healed by Jesus, and then gets up to serve everyone.  My first and more traditional response is to see her as an oppressed woman.  But since I spent much of the week thinking about her, this thought bubbled up:  what if she's a wise elder, teaching Jesus, showing him a new direction for ministry?  Here's that video segment.





To see the whole sermon, go here.

No comments: