Thursday, January 6, 2022

Epiphany Stars and Prayers

Yesterday, I decided that I needed to change my cover photo on Facebook; my old one had Christmas themes.  I had Epiphany on the brain, or more specifically Epiphany Eve.  I hadn't snapped a picture that would have been good for Epiphany on Christmas Eve, so I looked back through my trove of pictures.  I chose this one from an Epiphany star project that I did for a church a few years ago; I chose this one because of the twinkly lights:


When I chose this picture yesterday, I couldn't see the words on the star.  I feel like I've gotten an important message.  Of course, back in 2017 when I took this picture, I also felt like I was getting an important message.  I don't think it bothers me that the message hasn't changed.  I am pondering saying yes to a whole different set of questions five years later.

I was prompted to change my Facebook photo after reading my e-mails.  Our director of the spiritual director certificate program wrote us an e-mail to let us know that the seminary campus was without electricity, and how she was trying not to lose heart:

"In my prayer this morning, I reflected on John 1, in which Jesus asks the disciples to 'come and see.' This is the invitation—to 'come and see' how God is at work when plans fall apart, when we have no power and all is dark, when we have to adapt, and adapt, and adapt again, when a pandemic continues wrecking griefs of all kinds. . . when the light of Epiphany seems dim. Jesus says, 'come and see.'”

She concluded this way:  "Maybe we will be the light of Epiphany for each other tomorrow. Let’s 'come and see.'”

I wrote her a supportive e-mail:

"Just wanted to write a quick note to tell you that I love the pastoral spirit of this e-mail, that I am bolstered by your words of good cheer in the face of adversity, that I love the reminder that God invites us to come and see what God is up to in this world of wreck and ruin--and that new creation comes in the midst of wreck and ruin. Our beloved community will rise to this occasion."

We ended up having our afternoon session at Columbia College, dinner back at the seminary campus, and our evening worship service in the muted beauty of the seminary chapel.  I loved hearing the magnificent organ and seeing the candles flicker.  I loved the sermon, which referenced Archbishop Tutu and reminded us of the importance of being Christ in the world the way that Tutu was.

This morning, I will assist with the morning service.  I will offer some prayers of intercession.  Let me finish this post by jotting down some possibilities:

For those of us who need help understanding the signs that they see, let us pray:

For those of us who search for new leadership and new directions, let us pray:

For those of us who lose control of our fears and insecurities, let us pray:

For those of us finding that we need to take a new road, let us pray:

For those of us who need a new dream, let us pray:

For all of us, we pray.

Help us to bring the message of God's love to the world, whether our approach is more like the angel choirs or the steady light of a distant star.  Help us to be the star, shining a message of God's love to the world.  Give us the courage to follow our visions.


No comments: