Friday, August 14, 2020

Olive Trees and Eagle Wings

 The morning readings in The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle have been speaking to me more so than usual this week, which has left me inspired as I've ended the Morning Watch devotional that I've been doing for my church.  Let me record some of those thoughts.

On Thursday, I read Psalm 52:8:  "I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever" (p. 377).  I found the idea of a green olive tree delightful, and when I searched online for images, I was struck by the twisted together nature of the trunk and how sturdy it looked.

I was also struck by the fact that the tree seems to be one that can live and thrive in conditions that would adversely affect other trees.  This tree likes drier soil.  And I liked the versatility of the fruit:  olives can be used to give flavor and sodium and even more protein than other plant based food (I should look it up to make sure this is true).  Olive oil can be used to cook with and to moisturize skin and hair.

As I concluded Morning Watch, I encouraged us all to be like olive trees, sturdy and rooted and offering shelter to a lot of creatures, bearing good fruit that's versatile.

This morning, I was struck by the end of Psalm 103:5, which promises that God will renew our youth like eagles.  How I need some eagle strength right now, and I do miss my youthful vigor.

I'm working on this sketch, still in progress, of the house of God and the olive tree:


At first I thought I was creating stained glass windows, and maybe I am, although in some ways, I've put windows in what could be the roof of the temple structure.  Or maybe it's the top of the building.  Or maybe it will just be the tree that's more realistic--and I'm using that term very loosely.  I am interested to see where this goes.

As I concluded Morning Watch this morning, I talked about doing things over the week-end, like cooking or reading, that would renew vigor, keep us rooted, and provide nourishment (both literal and figurative) for the coming week.  I encouraged us to remember that God is there too, our nourishment, our olive tree roots, our eagle wings.

Let us go forth, to be nourishment to the world, to be rooted like the olive trees in the face of all that may be coming, let us use those eagle wings to soar.

No comments: