Sunday, July 19, 2020

Video Sermon: Matthew 13: 24-30, 36-34

At 10:00, my church will broadcast today's worship service.  We're no longer livestreaming, and we probably won't for awhile.  We used to meet, a skeleton crew of us, and do the service.  Our pastor would preach, the choir would sing, and I was in charge of the iPad which let me zoom in and out.  Our choir members tried to stay spaced 6 feet apart, but I had begun to worry it wasn't enough.

This week, I created the "sermon" for today's Gospel of Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43.  It's a different kind of sermon.  Here's how I described it for my YouTube channel:  "A different kind of sermon on Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43. Part parable, part video meditation, part poetry, part found art, part questions, part ambiguity and mystery, and hopefully some inspiration."

In short, it's not a typical sermon, in the pre-pandemic sense of a sermon:  someone standing at a podium, lecturing, giving background, instructing a congregation in what is demanded.  It's much more like a poetry presentation.  For several days, I walked the neighborhood, filming short clips, making the kinds of interesting connections that usually only happen when I write poems.

If you'd like to see it, go here.  Later, I'll post a link to the entire worship service, so  you can see it in context.

Update:  To see the whole service, go here.

No comments: