Saturday, July 25, 2020

Comet Quests and Spiritual Lessons

We have a new comet: Neowise. I've seen news articles about how it's visible, and some far-flung friends have seen it. It's most visible in the northwest sky an hour after sunset and in the northeast sky an hour before sunrise.

Although I don't hold out much hope for seeing it after sunset, I've gone outside to try. I think we just have too many trees and too much light pollution. And lately, we've had too many clouds.

I have seen some glorious sunrises, along with some lightning shows, but so far, no comet. I'm trying not to see this experience as a metaphor.

This morning, I thought I had the best chance in the past several weeks to see it--the dark skies didn't have nearly as many clouds.  Off I went to the beach where I thought I would have an unobstructed view.

I live in an area saturated with light pollution, but most times, I don't mind.  I feel safer, even as I acknowledge the risk to other species like sea turtles.  This morning, I tried to find a darker part of the beach, but it was fairly futile.

Still, I had a chance to stand on the sand and gaze at the sky--not a bad way to spend time, even if I didn't see the comet.  And as I stood there, I thought about the lessons from spiritual practices that might speak to this moment.

I reflected on how I was so focused on looking for something specific that I almost forgot to notice the other wondrous sights of the pre-dawn sky.    I thought about how often I'm looking for a specific outcome that I close myself off to other possibilities.

I thought about how I'm looking for a comet that will look at best, like a star with a smudge, but at worst, like another prick of light.  The clouds at sunrise are much more beautiful, as is the sunrise itself.  But I see those every day.  The comet won't be back in my lifetime.  I think about all the spiritual events that I want that are once in a lifetime, but the hard work of day to day is something that frustrates me.

I thought of those magi from afar who saw a change in the sky and came looking for the change portended.  I think about how often I want change and pursue it, without appreciating what I'm setting into motion.

Even as I was scanning the sky for a comet, I was thinking about how I might search differently tomorrow morning.  How difficult it is to stay in the present moment.

Of course, these spiritual lessons aren't new to me--in fact, I suspect I'll spend my whole life at this theology school.


No comments: