Sunday, July 12, 2020

Creating the Next Video Meditation

This week, my pastor asked me if I wanted to create some sort of meditation for either or both of the next 2 Sundays.  I couldn't pull anything together for this Sunday, but I did give him some ideas.  I did volunteer to do the meditation for next Sunday, and then my brain got to work thinking of an approach to Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43.

I wanted to do something like my Pentecost Project.  Of all of my creative projects this summer, that one has been my favorite.  For several days, I've walked the neighborhood, filming short clips, making the kinds of interesting connections that usually only happen when I write poems.  Here's an example:


I really enjoy doing these, and I think that they may be a more useful approach to sermons than the traditional lecturing from the pulpit.  I like a good lecture as much as the next person, and as an academic, perhaps I like them MORE than the next person.

I am not telling people what they have to think.  I'm suggesting some approaches to the Gospel and hoping that they inspire people to do some pondering on their own.

Here's another example:




 At some point in the next few days, I'll put them all together, and next Sunday, I'll post a link.

No comments: