Sunday, May 26, 2019

Planning Forty Days of Prayer

Months ago, my pastor asked me if I wanted to be in charge of 40 days of prayer as my church discerns a way forward.  I said yes, as long as it didn't have to happen during Lent.  We decided that a post-Pentecost time made the most sense.

It occurs to me that we are almost to Pentecost, and thus, it is time to think about 40 days of prayer.  What makes the most sense?

I am certain that we cannot gather in person every day to pray together.  Our church will also be having house meetings during that time, so it's even more unlikely that we can have daily prayer times at the church.

But it might make sense to have several prayer sessions at church, since we are discerning God's vision for the property.  Maybe we should have a morning session one week, an evening session another week, and a session at lunch one week.

Should we also have different types of prayer?  I don't know how much our congregation knows about different kinds of prayer.  For that matter, I could use a review myself.

I have a vision of an e-mail that goes out each day, an e-mail that not only reminds people to pray but gives them a prayer prompt.  Occasionally, that prompt should suggest a different way of prayer.

Let me keep pondering--but let me also start planning.

No comments: