Thursday, August 22, 2013

Trudging through the Book of Acts

My pastor has wanted to work our way through the book of Acts for some time now.  I wanted to see if I had a different reaction than I've had in past times.  Maybe if we worked our way through it, as a book, I'd like it better than I do when we hit a story here or there in the Revised Common Lectionary.  And after all, I reasoned, it's only for a summer.

I want to like the book of Acts.  Intellectually, I understand why it's important.  The early Church, especially in its more communal aspects, fascinates me.  But oh, how I am ready to move on to something else. 

Alas, I think we're with the book of Acts until Reformation Sunday.

The other day, I tried to figure out why it's August, and I'm finding Acts tiresome.  Is it something about the narrative structure?  I feel like each week, it's the same:  watch the faithful crew head out to some new adventure, where they'll meet people who are resistant at first, and then they agree to be baptized.

Mission building right there in the mission field--I hear a hundred sermons being preached.

It does make me yearn for follow up.  What happens to those fledgling congregations in 10 years when the now-no-longer-new believers realize they have many of the same problems and some of them are worse?  The apostles have gone along their merry way, on to the next mission field (or death, I know).

My pastor has done a great job of tying the book of Acts to our modern lives, let me hasten to add.  The problem isn't with him--it's with me.

Or maybe it's with the book of Acts.

Or maybe it's August, and I'm ready for something new.

No comments: