For several weeks now, I've found my brain returning to an idea that doesn't exist as much as I can tell. I wish we had a nation-wide network of Lutheran safe houses. I don't mean that term in the 60's radical kind of way, as a shelter for people out in the world working to overthrow any number of societal forces.
It would be great to have houses with individual sleeping spaces with doors that lock, and communal spaces like bathrooms, kitchens, and living spaces--perhaps sleeping spaces with private bathrooms too. People could stay as they were traveling or if they needed a retreat. Houses could offer long term housing too.
We used to have more of these kind of spaces, although Lutheran ones were probably more likely to be connected to campuses. I'm thinking about Catholic Worker houses and other dwellings connected to monastic traditions--how many of them still exist?
Is there a website or some other network that lists them all? I did a quick internet search and didn't come up with one.
Longtime readers of this blog know that I'm never far from contemplating communal housing, particularly communal housing with a religious connection. I've had this on the brain even more intensely because one of my church members in Bristol could really use this kind of resource as she waits for a unit to open in one of the places for low income seniors.
Would it be cheaper than the cheap motel which costs $430 a week that we're helping her pay for? Hard to say--but I'd feel better about our church money going to a local Lutheran safe house.
No comments:
Post a Comment