Friday, January 19, 2024

A Sunday Snow Day

Yesterday Faith Lutheran, the church that I serve in Bristol, Tennessee as a Synodical Appointed Minister, decided to cancel worship and Sunday school this Sunday.  I understand the decision; it's been snowing in Bristol for much of the week and more is expected, along with bitter cold.  The lay leadership looked at the weather, thought about the danger of us driving across the mountain in sub-zero temperature (so rare for North Carolina!), and the probability of minimal turn out, and they made the call.

I am glad that it's not up to me.  My weather on the other side of the mountain, 2 hours further south, is significantly different.  The lay leadership understands the congregation in a way that I don't.  And frankly, when I see clergy argue about whether or not to cancel worship services, I always agree with the people who argue for cancelling so that the more fragile members of the congregation stay safe.  I know enough people who feel that they must be in the pews if the church offers a service that I understand why it's important to cancel when the weather is treacherous.

For utterly selfish reasons, I'm glad they made this decision early because I haven't written my sermon for Sunday yet.  I've done some research, my spouse and I have had conversations about possible approaches, and I was ready to write, but it's fine with me that this sermon doesn't come into existence.

I may take advantage of this opportunity to attend a totally different service.  I'm taking Foundations of Worship in seminary this term, and here's one of our assignments:  

"Visit two liturgical settings unfamiliar to you (does not need to be on a Sunday). You have the
option of conducting one of the two visits online (synchronously or asynchronously). For each site,
write a 1000-1100-word brief that includes 1) your observations and reflection of the experience,
2) a theological analysis of a particular liturgical rite of your choosing from the service, and 3)
compare this rite with whatever corresponds from within the liturgical tradition/s most familiar to
you, describing your observations of similarities and differences."

Most of the opportunities are on a Sunday, so I don't have many options when it comes to completing this assignment, since most Sundays this term I'll be preaching.  I thought about Wednesday possibilities, but I'm in class on Wednesday night.

Let me keep thinking about how I can best use this snow day.

No comments: