Wednesday, January 10, 2024

A God Who Sins

Part of my sermon on the baptism of Jesus talked about John the Baptist teaching baptism for repentance of sin.  My spouse and I talked about the idea of Jesus having sins he needed to repent.  He was partly human, after all.  It wasn't hard to come up with a few times where he could have behaved more perfectly; the interaction with the Canaanite woman comes to mind (Matthew 15:  21-28).

Then I went back to revise and came up with these lines:

---

If Jesus has sins to confess, Jesus who is part of the Triune God, do we also feel that God has need of confession?  Could we believe in an imperfect God?

---

My spouse read the revised sermon and declared I had written a whole different sermon.  He advised taking these lines out.  I did, but mainly because I thought the idea of a God who sins, the Creator who sins, was too provocative.  Plus, I didn't develop the idea.  I don't want to throw out ideas that are bombshells and just leave them there, not when I'm preaching.  I don't feel like I have to answer all the questions, but I do feel like I should give a range of answers.  These questions felt more like the kinds we'd explore on a retreat.

Still, they intrigued me, so I wanted to record them.  Maybe I'll return to them.  Maybe another theological world is about to open to me, like when I first started thinking about rejecting God's omnipotence.

No comments: