Monday, July 3, 2023

The Fourth of July in a Small Country Church

Over the past week, I've been a silent observer as my social media sites blew up over the question of flags in church and patriotic music on the Sunday before the Fourth of July holiday in the U.S.  I've seen one post of outrage at the pledge of allegiance as part of a worship service.  Apparently, some pastors preached a revolutionary message, but it was about the colonists who decided to become Founding Fathers, not the Gospel message of Jesus.

I had wondered how the little country church where I am preaching every Sunday would handle the Fourth of July, but we had no patriotic songs, and my sermon was about Jesus and his instructions about hospitality.  I did not tie the message to the Fourth of July.  I had decided that if the worship planning team had chosen patriotic music, I would let it slide.  If I had been in charge of worship planning, the most patriotic that I would get would be "God Bless Our Native Lands," but I was not in charge.

Happily that team did not choose patriotic music.  Even if they had, I am more understanding than some.  I don't see those choices as supplanting God.  We're not worshipping our country.  If our allegiance was truly tested, I hope that most of us would choose God.  But even if we didn't, I am sure God would extend grace.

And some of that patriotic music has a distinct theological theme that I could make work.  At least, the ones in the hymnal do.

About half the women in the church wore red, white, and blue, and the other half seemed to be wearing variations of peach colors.  The men wore what they always wear.  We all had sandals or sneakers on our feet.  It's summer, and it's a holiday week-end, so the attendance was lower.

I am liking the vibe of this church more and more.  I wonder if the vibe would be different if I was their full-time pastor, not a synod approved minister who will only be with them for a short time.  I am grateful that it is working well so far.

No comments: