Monday, July 17, 2023

July 16 Sermon: Seeds and Sowers

Yesterday's Gospel was Matthew's version of the sower who spread seeds on a variety of surfaces.  I was pleased that I could find some different things to say in my grown up sermon (why does a sower do this?  What if the point is not about our hearts being good soil, but about an exuberant, abundant God?  Or maybe it's about our efforts as evangelists--or maybe we need to remember that unlike seeds, we can move to good soil).

I set up a table in the front of the sanctuary, a table with small pots and seeds.  I like giving people something to look at and ponder, but I won't be able to do that easily every week.  Still, when it works, hurrah!  Here's a view from the top of the table:  



I began my children's sermon by asking if anyone had a backyard garden--nope.  Grandparents perhaps?  Two raised their hands.  

We talked about seeds.  I showed them the milkweed seeds.  We talked seeds having potential, just like children have potential.  

I showed them the various pots with materials I assembled before church:  sand (from the outside container where people put out cigarettes which is rarely used these days, some small rocks, some chunks of concrete, and some potting soil).  I asked which ones would be better for seeds to grow.



These children aren't stupid.  They knew it was the potting soil.  We talked about what these types of soil represent in the parable we're about to hear (the children's sermon comes before any of the readings, so it's a good opportunity to speak to us all about what we're about to hear).  I said, " When we talk in the sermon after we hear the text from Matthew, be thinking about what soil represents:  Us?Other people?  Where we live?  How we live?  Something else?"

I invited them to come up afterwards to get a small pot, some potting soil, and some seeds.  I had thought ahead and brought some small, zip lock bags with me.  I was happily surprised that all of the children came forward and seemed enthusiastic.

Now I'm thinking ahead to next week's Gospel:  seeds and weeds.  Let me get some seeds today from the tomato we need to eat, and when I go on my walk, let me look for some dandelions.  I've got potting soil--and a plan!


No comments: