Monday, November 8, 2021

All Saints Sermon

My pastor was away yesterday, so I preached the All Saints sermon.  I didn't go out on too much of a limb.  I talked about different ideas of the afterlife.  I made reference to the table where people had brought pictures of their loved ones who had died.  I made mention of the fact that at some point, we, too, will be pictures on that table.

I was most pleased with the end of my sermon.  I talked about Heaven, but I said that if we wait until we're dead, we miss out on so much.  Our scriptures tell us again and again that the Kingdom of God--God's community, God's creation, Heaven--is inbreaking.  It's right now.  We don't have to wait.  We're invited to be part of creating it right here, right now.

I knew what anthem the choir would be singing because I had heard my spouse practice it all week.  I encouraged people to listen to the upcoming All Saints lyrics set to a familiar Christmas tune ("Angels from the Realms of Glory").  I encouraged us to think about that thread holding All Saints and Christmas together, to think about the mystery of God's Kingdom made incarnate, through Jesus.  I encouraged us all to think about what we could do to make God's Kingdom incarnate.

The sermon seemed to be received well.  I worry that I'm basically preaching the same message each time I preach, but if it bothers people, no one lets me know.  After all, I'm not preaching every week.  And it's a message that bears repeating.

No comments: