Thursday, October 17, 2019

Resurrection Lessons from the Butterfly Garden

At school, for the past several weeks, I have been racing from pillar to post (what an interesting phrase!) getting ready for the upcoming accreditation visit (Monday--gulp!).  I've worried a bit about the effect of it all on the folks who aren't as much a part of the preparations.  I've tried to be present and stop whatever I've been doing when a non-accreditation task needed attention.  But I know that some of the intensity can't help but be felt by my colleagues and the students.

Yesterday one of my colleagues stopped by to say, "I thought you'd want to know that the monarchs have returned to the milkweed plants."  And we had a short conversation about how we hadn't seen the butterflies lately and how great it was to have them return.

It was a small moment, but it reminds me of how people have cared for me during these intense weeks.  There have been numerous conversations where people helped me process conversations, plans, and directives, where we came together to figure out the best approach.  You might argue that those people are just doing their jobs when we put our heads together.  I would argue that they are going above and beyond.

Similarly, the cleaning crew came in and got the accreditation room cleaned up once the drywall repair was done.  Just doing their job?  In one way--but in an important way, their thorough work meant that I had one less task.  A week ago, the decision was made to change the room, which meant that time to get it ready has been running out.

There was a point yesterday when I wasn't sure I would be home in time for my online Mepkin contemplative group.  There was talk of a complete revision of binders, but they weren't as off-kilter as an e-mail made us fear.  By the end of the day, I got home with time to spare.

We settled into our contemplative time together by describing our psychic space.  I mentioned that I was deeply tired.  I didn't plan to say this, but I did:  "We have an accreditation visit on Monday and Tuesday, so I'd appreciate prayers if you've got some to spare."

They all nodded and said they'd pray.  I was surprised by how comforted I felt.  I was also surprised that I was able to ask for prayers.  Why is it so hard for me to ask for help?  And asking contemplative Mepkin types to pray--that really isn't a burden.  Hmmmm.  Let me sit with this awhile.

The milkweed is blooming this week--these are plants that have been eaten back to bare stalks several times since I bought them in July.  They are hardy souls.

We are too.

No comments: