Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Closing Down the Homestead Center for Unaccompanied Minors (aka Heinous Incarceration Center) for Good

On my way to work this morning, I heard an interview with a local immigration lawyer.  She's been helping the immigrant children who had been held at the Homestead Detention Center.  She delivered the news that the center has been closed permanently, at least for unaccompanied children.

Back in August, the center was closed suddenly, with children whisked away in the middle of the night.  We were told it was because of inadequate protection from hurricanes.  We were expecting children to return in November, when hurricane season winds down.  But now they won't return.

The immigration lawyer gave credit for this decision to the continuous demonstrations that happened at the center.  She specifically mentioned religious groups and other social justice organizations, along with the visits from lawmakers.  I let myself feel happy for a minute, even though I was not part of the groups camped out in Homestead and perching on ladders to report on conditions in the center.

I realize that the building will likely be repurposed.  A private prison company owns the building, and there's no shortage of opportunity to make money off the prison-industrial complex.

I realize that children will be held elsewhere, at least until this administration leaves office.  There are advantages to having a big country--one reason why I would argue for letting more people in, not less.  But there are disadvantages--it's easier to spirit children away in the middle of the night and harder to keep track of them.

I wrote these words back in August when the Homestead center closed abruptly.  I still hold onto them today, and I hope to hold onto them my whole life:  I am deeply worried that we are seeing some larger evil, and that it's so large that I can't really believe that I'm seeing it. I am strengthened knowing that I am part of a larger structure, many larger structures actually, that are committed to resisting this evil.

No comments: