Saturday, September 14, 2019

Are We Ecumenical or Enabling?

Earlier this week, we had a conversation amongst church members about the 7 other church groups who use our space.  Some of those church groups have very different theologies, although they are all ostensibly Christian groups.

Some of us chafe about how filled our church space has become.  Scheduling a wedding for a church member takes a herculean effort, for example.

Some of us see the sharing of space as an essential part of our mission.  Over fifty years ago, our ancestors gifted us with a church building.  Now we have a resource to shepherd and to share.

I will be blunt and honest, since only about 7 people are likely to read this blog post.  I am not sure I want to share resources with people who won't allow a woman to preach.  I am not sure I want to share resources with people who believe that homosexuals are headed to hell.

I am also not sure how many of our groups have more repressive beliefs.  One group is Seventh Day Adventist, so I'm pretty sure at least one group is more repressive.

We could argue about ecumenism.  I would say that we have not had that many years of openness in the Lutheran church; it's easy to lecture about ecumenism when you've been allowed to control the pulpit for the last two millenniums.

I wonder when ecumenism becomes enabling.

I know that I might be more comfortable sharing our worship space with Hindus or someone radically different in another direction than with sharing our resources with those whose Christian fundamentalism will restrict the personal possibilities of so many.

I realize that I'm risking being judgmental and closed off.  I am trying to have an open heart and an open mind. 

But I also know that I don't want to be part of oppressive structures when I can avoid it.  I don't want to support those oppressive structures.

I am ready for the new society, the beloved community, even as I feel our society slipping back to a shadowy past.

No comments: