Saturday, July 6, 2019

A Prayer for a Time of Transition

I began this morning as I usually do by scrolling through my Facebook feed.  I have been trying to start the day differently, getting back to the Liturgy of the Hours, using the prayer books by Phyllis Tickle.  The past year discombobulated my routines.  I need to get back to a better routine.

But I'm not there yet, so back to me this morning scrolling back through my Facebook feed.  I came across a post from a pastor friend who is leaving his position at the national headquarters of the Lutheran church (ELCA) to become bishop of the Southeastern Synod.  He's not only going through a major job change, but also moving from Chicago to Atlanta.

From a distance, I see this all as marvelous and exciting.  This morning, he posted this prayer that he feels he should be praying every hour:

“O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
When things are going well, we need this kind of prayer--and of course, when things aren't going well, we need this prayer.

And it's good to be reminded that everyone has a life that includes good elements and difficult elements, and it can all be scary.  It's good to have a prayer like this one.

No comments: