Thursday, April 18, 2019

Maundy Thursday Musings, the 2019 Version

--I begin the day as I usually do, thinking about the calendar day, thinking about the liturgical calendar, thinking about the day in past years and deeper history.  Of course, during Holy Week these thoughts take on a particular color.

--Today I am thinking about Christians around the world who will celebrate this day that celebrates the last meal of Jesus, according to tradition.  Some congregations will hear about Jesus and the washing of the feet.  Some will focus on the meal itself.  Some will ponder the betrayals about to come.

--I think about how those disciples were so sure of themselves.  Judas who had become disgusted with Jesus.  Peter who knew that he would remain faithful.  As always, I think of the ones we don't know about.  The one who prepared the meal.  The one who would do the clean up and wished that the meal would be over so that the clean up could begin.  The one who needed to slip away to take care of his sick mother or take a quick smoking break or just get away from the fawning attention of the other affirmation hungry disciples.

--This morning I saw the moon setting as I looked out my kitchen window.  I can see out of my kitchen window now because I took down the wretched scrap of cloth that we used as a curtain for many years.  I washed it, even though I knew I would throw it away.  That detail seems fitting for a Maundy Thursday poem which I have yet to write.

--In past years, I might have made bread, and I'm tempted to do it this year.  But I have cleaning to do--my sister and nephew arrive this afternoon, and at the very least, I must get rid of the grossness in the bathroom.  I've been keeping the toilet clean, but the sink, bathtub, and floors need some attention.  I also hope to clean the hardwood floors throughout the house.  The other types of restoration that I had hoped to do (sorting through some piles of paperwork, unpacking some dishes, on and on I could go) will wait for a day/week-end/retirement when I have more time.

--I think of the washing of the disciples' feet, the grossness of those feet.  My Maundy Thursday cleaning seems appropriate.  My poor house, this past year of renovations and neglect, this long, slow slog.

--Because we have houseguests arriving, I did some grocery shopping yesterday.  I spend a good part of each day trying to obey Christ's mandatum that we love each other.  I am not certain that Jesus would approve of my showing of love by buying my nephew a bag of Doritos in every flavor offered by the smaller Publix near my school.

--We will have a version of the Last Supper, by which I mean my spouse has bought a lot of lamb, my nephew's current favorite meat.  We will also have bread, likely made by us, and perhaps grilled.

--It will be a different Maundy Thursday, but it will satisfy.

No comments: