Monday, December 17, 2018

New Nativity Scenes

We had a great interactive arts service yesterday.  We created nativity scenes after I read the Christmas passage from Luke



I had set out a variety of supplies from the arts and crafts closet, along with magazines, and construction paper.  I invited people to use what was there or to go outside to see what they could find.  We ended up doing a variety of approaches.



One family worked together.  The mother and daughter went outside to find materials while the older son looked through magazines.  They ended up with an interesting creche:



I love the baby Jesus stuck on a flower pod for a manger.




I put together scenes from a magazine. 




The angels are photos of dancers that I got from a photography magazine. 



I put the clip of Mary and Jesus at the right side of the page over a photo of a hurricane Maria-wrecked landscape in Puerto Rico.



Another worshiping artist put together this collage. 



I found it interesting, the ways we used modern images to revisit the story.  I want to believe that it helped us engage with a very familiar story in new ways. 



And people who came into the fellowship hall later exclaimed their pleasure at the creations.

No comments: