Monday, November 19, 2018

Spiritual Journaling while Traveling

I have really been enjoying the daily discipline of spiritual journaling each day so I hope to continue doing it this holiday week.  Saturday was my longest drive day, but I was running early, so I had time to stop at the South Carolina Artisans Center in Walterboro, SC:




I loved walking through the center and seeing the art.





They have sparkling clean bathrooms. The people are very friendly. As I left, I saw this picnic table and decided to do a bit of journaling.




I'm trying to create a sketch every day:




In the sketch above, I was thinking of Jonah and the whale--but is my heart Jonah? Is the fish the delivery vehicle of my reluctant heart?

The heart as reluctant prophet--hmm.  I will keep thinking about this idea.

Here's the sketch that I made on Friday.  If I had had more time on Saturday, I'd have done more to make the hearts similar:



And this sketch speaks to an earlier sketch with anchors.  I like how I am using some traditional Christian symbols but in a different way:



And here's yet another image of an anchor from an earlier sketch:




Yesterday was another travel day for me, so my sketching time was limited. I'm near the 7 Sisters Mountain range in North Carolina, near Asheville, a place that has all sorts of personal and spiritual meaning for me. Here's my sketch from last night:



I am now realizing that I put the sunset at the wrong place. But since it doesn't look like a sunset, maybe that's O.K.

I know that my time to get ideas on paper will be somewhat limited this week--or perhaps, not any more than any other time, but limited by different elements.  But I can feel my brain bubbling in ways that aren't as available in normal times.

No comments: