Saturday, October 27, 2018

When a Memorial Service Is So Much More

I did not watch the livestream of Matthew Shepard's memorial service yesterday while I was at work.  I try my hardest not to cry at work unless there's a very good reason to let people see me weep; otherwise it's too alarming for people to see a lead administrator cry.

I love this article on the NPR website which explores how Matthew Shepherd's ashes came to have their final resting place at the National Cathedral.  The first openly gay bishop, Eugene Robinson, says, "It's the cathedral saying some churches are different. Some churches have been on this journey with you, and we will not only welcome you, we will celebrate you."

The Episcopal bishop of Washington D.C. closes the article: "'There will be young people from all across the country, having tours here and being educated here,' she said. 'When they pass by, they will see a plaque in his honor. They will see that this is a church that has learned from the example of violence that we need to stand and be counted as among those who work for justice and the full embrace of all God's children.'"

I was surprised by how many people went to the service, which was at 10:00 on a Friday at the National Cathedral.  It says something to me about the gaping wounds that people are carrying, about our deep needs that we have inside us.

Well done, Episcopal church.  Thank you for this beautiful example of how to lead in this time of turmoil.  Thank you for this service and for knowing how to serve.  Thank you for this witness. 

No comments: