Friday, October 26, 2018

Pumpkin Preaching

Yesterday, we had our second annual pumpkin decorating day at school; see this blog post for more on the process.

Most people seemed happy to see the pumpkin decorating opportunity, even if they didn't all participate.  I was interested in how many people wanted to know if/when we would judge them.  Most people accepted my answer:  "Nope.  It's just for fun."

In the late afternoon, one of the Admissions reps said, "But why not judge them?  Why do all this work if we're not going to judge them."

Throughout the day, I had been thinking of the pumpkins as being a good metaphor for humans:  on some level, they're all so much the same.  But on another level, they're as unique one from another as snowflakes are said to be.

I've been thinking about the message of retreat centers:  the idea that God loves us just as we are, not because we're on the road to being something else.  I've been sitting with the radical-to-me idea that my own Kristin-ness might be just what is needed for this time.

So I smiled and said gently, "There's enough judgment in the world.  Why not just accept each pumpkin for the gifts it has to give?"  I thought about adding more, about how it's the process not the product that's important.  I could have added so much.  But I said something to this effect, "When people think of this day, I want them to remember the joy of creating.  I want them to try to create a similar attitude each and every day in their lives.  I want them to remember my joy at putting this event together just for the fun of it, and to similarly channel this energy, not a judgmental energy."  I may have also said something about innate goodness and serenity.

I noticed others looking at me, even though the break room wasn't packed with students.  I think most of them liked the idea of creating just for fun, except for the Admissions rep, who would have been happier being the judge of a contest. 

I thought of all the societal institutions that tell us that we're only good enough if we win competitions.  I thought of all the ways we're judged and come out lacking. 

I know that the Church has often been part of the problem.  But we could have a powerful message if we channeled it.  It would take a lot to drown out the larger cultural messages.

In fact, we're not likely to ever be successful at being louder.  Perhaps the change can come from those of us who go out into the world, organizing pumpkin decorating events in our workplace, telling people a larger message embedded in the gourds:  we are marvelously made.

No comments: