Thursday, June 28, 2018

Reweaving the Fabric of Society

Before we get too far away from Sunday, let me record what we did in church.  My pastor had wanted to do something to commemorate the anniversaries of the Pulse Nightclub shooting and the Charleston shooting.  During the week that we were exchanging ideas, Trump's evil policy that separated children from parents at the border was happening.  I remembered a prayer weaving that we did at the Create in Me retreat, and I suggested something similar, a group weaving project that would remind us that even when it feels like society is frayed and unraveling, the scraps can be rewoven into something beautiful.

I found one of our picture frames and created this loom.  I lashed sticks that I found in the yard to the frame and used yarn:




My vision was that we'd start on the weaving in the 9:45 service, which is more interactive and open to creative approaches to worship.  Then we'd take it to the table in the sanctuary, and we'd invite members of the 11:00 service to join in the weaving.



I used the fabric that we'd used in our Pentecost projects.  I liked the opportunity to remind people that the Holy Spirit is loose in the world helping us with our weaving.



As I expected, people found the weaving meaningful.  At the end, my spouse pointed out the yellow cross in the center of the weaving that emerged from our effort:




We decided that we liked the weaving too much to take it apart right away.  So now it rests in the altar, with the other Pentecost projects.


No comments: