Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When Your Pastor Goes Off Lectionary

I want to believe that pastors know when we need to hear the messages they feel compelled to preach.

I miss the lectionary when the pastor goes off lectionary.

I miss the parts of the lectionary that we leave out.

I miss them, even when I grow impatient over how long our Sunday service lasts.  I don't want more cut out.  In fact, I want some things added back in.  At the same time, I want the service to be more efficient.

I realize that my longing for efficiency is both one of my strengths and one of my weaknesses.

I miss the way that the full complement of readings from the lectionary twine around themselves and bind themselves together.

I believe that Christians need all those readings to fully bind us all together.

I miss hearing the readings and knowing that all across the planet, fellow Christians are hearing and reading what I'm hearing.

I think that the ancients understood something wise when they articulated the power of a shared set of readings.

1 comment:

Di said...

I agree entirely.