Monday, September 6, 2010

Last Thoughts on Yesterday's Lessons

Our pastor decided to preach on Psalm 139, which was fine with me. I love that language of God as knitter, weaving us together, even in the womb. In both the children's sermon and the adult sermon, our pastor focused on the idea that we are well made. Everything in our culture conspires to make us believe that we are not perfect just as we are; in fact capitalist culture depends on us believing that we're deeply flawed, so that we'll buy more products.

How would our lives changed if we could wake up every morning and look in a mirror that told us, "You are well and truly made"? For a brief moment, I even fantasized about a mirror with that saying etched across the top.

Of course, the real trick is to change my inner tape, the one that says I would be good enough if I could just lose 20 pounds or get that next volume of poems published or change my hair color or get back to where I could run 6 miles or . . . any number of ways to fill in the blanks.

The good news is that God doesn't look at us and see all the ways we could be improved. God created us. We are exactly what God intended.

No comments: