Sunday, November 13, 2022

Praying for Those Who Have No One to Pray for Them

On Friday, one of my fellow Quilt Camp participants told me that my prayer petition on Thursday had moved her to tears.  She said she had never thought of praying that way.  I thanked her for letting me know.

So what was so profound?  We lifted up people who needed prayer.  We said their names out loud or in our hearts.  Some people made brief mention of why the person needed prayer.  Into the silence, I said, "And for everyone who has no one to pray for them."

I've been offering this petition for years.  Back in the pre-COVID times, our church had a big book in the back of the sanctuary where people could write in the names of people who needed prayer, and the book would be brought forward for the prayers of the people near the end of the service.  When I was the part of the prayer team, I would always offer the petition, "We pray for those who have no one to write their name in this book."

I have tried to remember to pray this petition with every opportunity.  I find it meaningful, and it seems important to pray for those who don't have a network, who don't have support, who don't have the minimum support of someone who will pray.

And on Friday, it was cool to discover that someone else found it meaningful too.

No comments: