Friday, October 7, 2022

Cracks and Crevices and Sketches

I am part of a journaling/book study group, similar to ones I've been in before (same leader, same online set up, many familiar journaling friends).  We're making our way through Cole Arthur Riley's This Here Flesh.  We started, as one does, with the preface, and this part stayed with me:  

"Much of black spirituality while enslaved had to live and breathe in these crevices, every vale holy ground. A faith that depended on the interior life." This Here Flesh p. x
 
 And then I made a sketch.  When I drew this, I was thinking about crevices and what we find in the interior:





I've been sitting with this sketch for a week now, and I see aspects I didn't see at first.  I was trying to sketch mountains and crags.  But I'm seeing a descending dove, which wasn't a conscious design choice.  One of my group members said, "The movement on your page is like a wild current, inspiring me to imagine the folds and channels of interior life."

Another design note--we're only using a certain set of markers and black pens.  Here's what I'm using:



Having a limited number of marker also means that my sketches may be different than they would be if I used all my markers.  Perhaps the top sketch would have looked more like mountains and less like a dove or a descending river had I the full range of colors.

Or maybe the dove/river would have been such an important part of my subconscious that it would have emerged regardless.

No comments: