Saturday, August 21, 2021

Rainbow Rhythms

Last month, I wrote this blog post about a God sighting that you wouldn't believe if you saw it in a movie.  Last week, I had another one of those.

I had been walking before sunrise, trying to quell my anxiety.  The red sky made me think about the sailors taking warning.  I got to the small lake that's in the neighborhood, and I watched the sky turn shades of pink and salmon as the sun got a bit higher.

When I turned and looked west, I was stunned by a gorgeous rainbow in clouds tinted pink and purple.  I don't walk with any gadget that has camera capacity, so it will just live in my memory and in these words.

I know that I have been trained to see rainbows as a potent symbol of hope, raised in churches that talked about Noah and the ark and the rainbow as a promise that God won't destroy the world again.  When I'm in a bleak mood, I say, "Of course God could make that promise.  Humans will step in and close the gap and destroy the world just as efficiently."

But when I'm looking at an actual rainbow, I rarely react in a negative way.  I gasp in awe and even though I know how rainbows are formed by light refracting, I still say, "Great show, God!"

No comments: