Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Quantum Connections and the Virgin Mary

Last week, I wrote a post about my sketching with the Virgin Mary.  The earliest one is a date card I made when I was working ahead:  



I thought it was a bit too cartoonish, so I tried again and came up with a very abstract image:



Then, I decided to do something in my larger sketchbook, the one with better paper quality.  I was also thinking about the online journaling class I've been taking, where we've been reading and creating visual responses to Barbara A. Holmes' book, Race and the Cosmos.  I really love this sketch I created, of a pregnant Mary and the cosmos:




I wrote this post to go with it:  "I saw an icon of Mary, pregnant with Jesus (or was she just in swirling blue robes?). I've been experimenting with the shapes in that icon, and this week, I merged the idea of the icon with some cosmic imagery of the types that have delighted me as we've read this book. This image seems like a good ending note (or perhaps not ending, but a gateway to the next set of images)"

And indeed, I continue to sketch:




Yesterday, I thought about Mary and Elizabeth and thought about doing something with the Visitation.  But I decided I wanted to try to capture the idea that quantum particles will continue to affect each other, even when they're not together anymore.  I started this sketch yesterday:


And then this haiku like creation bubbled up later in the day:


Quantum connections
Container of galaxies
Worlds in our wombs/words

The sketch is unfinished.   I look forward to seeing where it takes me--and the sketches beyond!

No comments: