Saturday, May 30, 2020

Fourth Visit to the Spiritual Director

Yesterday, Friday, I went to see my spiritual director--our 4th visit.  I was scheduled for a Saturday morning visit, but she needed to reschedule.  Since I'd had several late evenings at work this week, I suggested a Friday afternoon visit.  So yesterday at 3, we met.

The trip down took me slightly less driving time, since I was leaving from my office and could hop right on the Turnpike.  In fact, yesterday was such a success in terms of time, we'll do it again on a Friday at 3 in June.

We began, as we usually do (and will always do), in a time of prayer.  Each time we've prayed in a different way.  Yesterday, we did a version of lectio divina.  My spiritual director picked up a prayer book and read the prayer written for the day.  I was to listen for a word or a phrase that leapt out at me, and it didn't have to be the same one each time.

I noticed these words:  deepen, connect, yearning, playfulness of God.  We spent the rest of the session discussing and discerning what those words might be saying to me right now.

I talked about how skittery my brain had been feeling since our last session:  so much to think about, in terms of the gradual re-opening of our society in these pandemic days and in my personal life, as I try to think of the ways to keep students safe and as I think about the future.  At my school, we've gotten the news that the school has been sold to a school in Brooklyn, and this week we met the owners.  The future seems uncertain in so many ways, and that makes it hard for me to make back-up plans or to even dream about the future.

So, it doesn't take much to see why those words leapt out at me, which we talked about in various ways.  We also talked about our churches.  I talked about how much I enjoy creating altarscapes and other elements of worship experiences.    We talked about the changes that churches across the nation have made, in terms of streaming and recording, and we wondered how permanent the changes will be.

What I want to be sure to record is an idea that leapt out at me.  When churches can reassemble in person, it would be good to still do the remote elements, as we have many people who can't gather in person:  the sick, the elderly, the disabled.  But when pastors have to lead in-person worship and visit the shut ins and lead Bible studies, will they have time to do the virtual stuff?  I suspect they won't.

I said, "I wonder if there might be a job as Director of Remote Programming."  We talked a bit about what that would look like.  My spiritual director said, "Your face really lights up when you talk about this."

Of course, it's a variety of thoughts I've had before, like being the online retreat leader.  While I like the idea of it, my brain also leaps to some of the problems I might have:  how does one make money?  (perhaps by marketing to a variety of churches?)  How does one avoid the tiredness that comes from staring at screens?  (perhaps by mixing some in-person stuff?)

I didn't discuss these possible drawbacks/problems with my spiritual director.  We finished up, and I drove home.  As always, I am intrigued by how I feel rested and refreshed after a session.  I'm also intrigued by how our conversations move to unexpected places.  When I drove down, I would not have anticipated having that conversation.

What a gift!

No comments: