Saturday, June 29, 2019

Eye to Eye with a Dragonfly

Two weeks ago, I'd have been at Mepkin Abbey.  On that Saturday, we walked the outdoor labyrinth together.  It was a surprisingly temperate morning, for a Saturday in South Carolina.  Indeed, Sunday morning was much more hot and humid.

But Saturday was perfect.  I loved walking with my fellow retreatants.  It's always interesting to me to walk with a group in a labyrinth.  I love the symbolism:  we're walking alone, but we're also together.  At points, I look forward and I see no one.  At other points, I have 3-4 people in my field of view.  But at any point, if I just turn my head a bit, I realize I'm not alone. 

The Mepkin Abbey labyrinth is outside, in a huge field. 



We walked between huge grasses and plant stalks and the occasional flower.  Dragonflies zipped in and out.  The sky was clear and blue.  In the distance, we saw a variety of trees, roads, a small house, and a trailer. 





The center has five square benches. 




Once we got there, we sat in silence.  I am not good at sitting in silence, which is one of the reasons why I like walking in a labyrinth in silence.  I am the kind of person who manages meditation better when she has something to do:  journaling or walking or crocheting.  I am the woman at the end of yoga class who can't hold a corpse pose without checking her watch to see if we're almost done.

At first, I was uncomfortable sitting in silence in the middle of the labyrinth.  But then I relaxed.  On the stalk beside my bench, a dragonfly flitted.  I stared at it.  I have never stared at a dragonfly for more than 10 seconds.  I have been amazed at the intriguing wing structure of a dragonfly during a 10 second glance.  But a deeper staring allowed me to marvel at its eyes and its sturdy legs.

I thought of lines from poetry, primarily Mary Oliver's poetry, that glory in the wonders of staring at a part of nature.  I was never that poet--and I don't remember doing that in childhood either.  What a treat to be able to interact with nature in this time-honored way.

No comments: