Thursday, February 28, 2019

Dream Job: Program Director at a Retreat Center?

One of my Create in Me friends has gotten a job as Program Director at Lutheranch.  Create in Me is a retreat at Lutheridge, and Novus Way is the larger group that oversees 4 retreat centers:  Lutheridge and Lutherock in North Carolina, Luther Springs in Florida, and Lutheranch in Georgia.

I am genuinely happy for my Create in Me friend.  I am always intrigued by people's paths, especially when the path leads to a retreat center.  Once I assumed that one needed to be ordained to be a program director--the few program directors I knew were ordained, which made having communion at worship possible.  But at a Create in Me retreat almost 10 years ago, our Bible study leader shared that most Lutheran camp program directors were not ordained. 

A different Create in Me friend and I had a conversation about becoming program directors, specifically at Lutheridge.  My friend pointed out that she wouldn't want to be responsible for training all the camp counselors for summer sleep away camp.  I agreed.

I know of some retreat centers that have programs only for adults.  I wonder if there's a complete list somewhere.  I'm most interested in a retreat center that focuses on arts and spirituality, particularly creative practices (the process as opposed to the product) and spirituality.  That intersection is not seen as unusual, like it once was.

I love the idea of working in a setting that celebrates creativity and spirituality.  I love the idea of spending my work days helping people explore both their creative and spiritual yearnings.  I am sure that there would be less idyllic parts of the job:  paperwork, unhappy retreat participants, the various crisis here and there.

I want to believe that the joys would outweigh the aggravations.  I look forward to living vicariously through my friend's experiences to get additional insight.

No comments: