Monday, February 27, 2017

Spiritual Book Ends to a Sunday

Much of yesterday was taken up with church stuff--that's the unifying theme of this post.

--My church has been off-lectionary much more often than we've been on-lectionary.  I was glad that we decided to celebrate Transfiguration Sunday yesterday.  We don't always.  I don't know why I cared.  It's not my favorite church holiday.  But it was good to be together in that space again.

--In our interactive 9:45 service we did skits/puppet shows to tell the T-Fig story.  It was fun.

--It was also our healing service Sunday.  I was the assisting minister.  As I was laying on hands and anointing with oil, I thought about the fact that it was the 2 year anniversary of the death of one of my best friends, whom I met in high school and lived with during a few years in a communal household.  She died of a gruesome esophageal cancer.

--We only had a few hours at home after the service.  Soon it was time to head back to Pembroke Pines for ukulele night. 

--As I sat in the parsonage, singing gospel songs, I thought, this is why people want house churches.  I sing better in that setting, surrounded by voices and instruments.  And it's impossible to drift off, the way it is when I'm one of 50 congregation members in a sanctuary designed for 300.

--We advertised the event on a variety of ukulele meet up sites.  This time we had as many non-church folks show up as church folks.  We advertise it as a Gospel sing, so it shouldn't be a surprise to people.  One woman told us her spiritual name; I had never heard that language:  "I'm on Facebook as my spiritual name _______."

--She never told us her actual name, so I have no idea if it's similar, although I think both first names are the same.

--My spouse played his violin and mandolin (not at the same time), and at one point, our host switched to her upright bass.  It was wonderful.

--What does it mean that the ukulele event fed my spirit more than the church events of the morning?

--I know what brought me more joy--what brought God more joy?

No comments: