Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Spiritual Dog Days

It is that time of year when it feels like summer will never end--and down here in South Florida, we have months to go before our first "cold" front. 

As a church, too, it's easy to feel we're in a slump:  no high festival days for awhile.  Months and months to go before Advent.

In short, I'm feeling the dog days of summer, both in terms of weather and in terms of my spiritual life.  I've written a post for the Living Lutheran site that explores this idea.

Here are some quotes to whet your appetite:

"Or perhaps our response to our spiritual dog days might be more aggressive. I remember childhood trips to the beach. Many summers we spent a week at Lutheridge, a wonderful Lutheran church camp in the mountains. Those kinds of retreats are still available to us, even if we're grown."

"I remember wonderful summer evenings with grown-ups on the porch, talking about old times and relatives I would never get to know. How I treasure those memories now. Maybe during your spiritual dog days, you might start writing down the details of your life. Resolve to write a spiritual memoir."

No comments: