Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Hiatus?

Today my 4 year old nephew arrives--with his mom, my sister. So, if this blog goes silent for a few days, you'll know that I'm having fun with pumpkins and costumes. You'll know that I'm jumping at a rare chance to go to the beach to play in the sand and the surf. He'll think the water is warm, but I'll be shivering; somewhere along the way, I've become more of a native. We'll build forts and otherwise learn to see the world in a new way.

I love my nephew because so far, he is so non-judgmental. He's never criticized any of us. He loves us just the way we are. He thinks we are the grandest people he's ever met. I envision God feeling just the same way.

I realize that I'm lucky--not all children have this sweet disposition. That's what I tell myself when I'm wondering if I shouldn't have been a mom after all. What other valuable lessons haven't I gotten?

I try to be rational. Those lessons that come with a child of one's own might have been the heartbreaking kind, after all.

Still, I'm so happy to have this experience. He's changed my outlook in so many ways.

Happy Halloween everyone! May you only be haunted by happiness.

No comments: