Friday, December 11, 2009

Music for your Contemplative Christmas

I got a treat via e-mail the other day: one of my folk music friends singing a beautiful song about Mary and her ability to say yes, even though it opened her up to all sorts of sorrow. It's by Bob Franke (you can hear him sing the song on his website).

I like my friend's version better. You can go here to hear and watch him.

I found this song the perfect antidote to my John the Baptist weariness. I need less winnowing fans and axes and more angels and teenagers who say yes. I need quieter music. I need to slow down a bit.

It's been a hectic week at work, as we've been racing towards deadlines. It's been a noisy time at home, as the roofers have arrived with their bubbling tar and pounding hammers. It's wonderful to have music to remind us to slow down to breathe--and to say yes.

No comments: